Welcome to Audio Geek

Welcome to Audio Geek; home of true budget Hi-Fi, with this blog I am hoping to spotlight the oft over looked audio gear from the later half of the 1980's through the 90's and into the early 2000's (there was and is still good gear being made but it's not really in keeping with the budget theme I have in mind). As well as talking about what's really important in this hobby the music you play on that system. Just to get things started let me explain as to why the hell I am even wasting my time on a blog dedicated to audio gear most people would look at as junk.

I'm 29 and have been in the audio hobby since I was about 13, I grew up with my dads impressive vintage setup (Sansui QRX-5000 Quad receiver, Klipsch Cornwall II Speakers, Various TT, R2R decks, ect) and started my journey with a mid 50's Grundig Console (at the age of 6) as my first stereo and in middle-school migrated to a all in on setup from Quasar in from the late 79's (we all gotta start some where). By High School I had become a full on vintage audio aficionado (Had my own Sansui QRX-5500A Receiver, Sansui TT, Sansui SP-2000 speakers ( I really liked Sansui), and PIoneer CTF-9191 Tape Deck) and I only got more staunch in my vintage devotion as I went into college, I even got one of my friends on board (sorry Kenny).

Though about 6 years ago that really started to change after I stumbled upon a Sony STR-DA555ES AVR for 30 bucks at a local thrift shop. It's understated looks caught my eye and the massive heft of the Power supply and Chassis reeled me in. After hooking it up to my AR9LSi's later that evening I was blown away, this AVR from 1999 sounded every bit as good as my Sansui QRX-5500A and Sansui 9090DB and the rest as they say is history. 

From that day on I started taking second looks at that all black gear from the 90's and early 2000's and have found quite a few gems that given there very low cost these days will rival there more expensive vintage counterparts.

I hope you enjoy the postings that follow.  
   

Comments

Popular Posts